Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Not-So-Successful Arrival.

Picture me sandwiched between a sweaty, hormonal pregnant woman and two German teenagers that, I believe, thought eachother's saliva was their oxygen. Yeah. Not so fun. It was cramped, hot, motion sick and restless to say the least. But I guess it's all in the experience...right?

I get off the plane only to realize one of my two 50.0 pound bags was left in Copenhagen. From experience, it usually takes Italians about 3-4 days to deliver the bags. The guy at the counter was super unhelpful and I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach I would never see that bag again. But he assured me they would come that following day. What I was most frustrated with was the fact that I split up my clothes between the bag. My shirts were in the bag I had with me, but my pants, dresses and SHOES were in the lost bag....what a dilemma! I didn't know if I was going to survive. (I did.)

Anyway, trying to ignore the fact that my shoe collection was lost in Scandinavia, I got a cab and made my way to Via Bertiera 13, where Hotel Holiday is (This is where all students in my program will stay until we find our apartments). I made it safely, paid the cab driver the 16 Euro it cost and walked into the quaint hotel and settled in. Exhausted, I laid on my bed--just for a second--and woke up 4 hours later to my roommate banging on the door. Oops. That was not supposed to happen. My roommate for the time at Hotel Holiday is Maried. She goes to Madison with me, in fact, we've had 3 Italian classes together. However, we probably had only spoke three or four times before Bologna. She's awesome, and into a lot of things that I love (aka Harry Potter and Perez Hilton).

Tired and weary, Maried and a few other girls from the program dragged me to a cute restaurant called Osteria Dell'Orsa. Apparently it's very popular for students because of it's cheap prices. I got a pasta dish called Pasta Torchio con basilico e pomodoro. Basically: pasta with tomatoes and basil. We got a half liter of house wine (because we can...) for the table as well. I paid 6 Euro for a stuffing meal. Awesome...definitely a place that I will go more.

While my first few minutes in Italy were stressful, the next few hours were amazing and gave me a small taste of the year I have ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment