Friday, October 8, 2010

Second List.

YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT’S BEEN TO POST THIS. The internet decides when it wants to work…usually when I’m wasting my time facebook stalking random people I haven’t even met. And then it decides to break when I’m A) trying to post on my blog B) when I’m trying to study for Benevolo’s lame exam C) when I’m trying to watch GLEE (aka my treasure or crack-cocaine whatever you want to call it. I can’t live without it. It was a horrible day when I had to wait an HOUR for it to download.)

Anyways, onto the good stuff…

Now that I’ve torn apart Italian culture (my previous post) from my Gringo-perspective…It’s only fair to make a list about what I’ve already fallen in love with. I only wrote 10 but trust me, you will hear about many more things that have made my experience already amazing.


1. Italian

I know I said I missed English but it’s kind of a love-hate relationship. There are few people in Bologna who speak English and it’s awesome. Most other places in the country are tourist developed and many people speak English. Although sometimes frustrating and a little uncomfortable, my Italian has already gotten better. I’m now at a level of Italian where I am using without thinking—complex tenses, complex forms, idiomatic phrases that I would have never thought I could use with such second nature!!! (if you’re in the BCSP program you know who I’m mocking….everyone elseàyou can reference the BCSP promo above)

…But really, Italian comes easier for me after every day and I’m beginning to love the rhythm, sound and structure of the language more and more. Sometimes I’ll hear people speaking in passing, and I’ll swear I’ve heard English…but then I turn around and see the greased hair and tight white pants and realize I couldn’t have been English…I just understood Italian!


2. History

To make my mom happy, I’ll say that I love the history of this city.

(Even though sadly, I’m more interested in knowing what 3rd world country Angeline Jolie is excavating babies from or whether Lindsay Lohan is going to be spending the night in an LA jail or dancing naked on tables, than I am interested seeing Dante’s tomb or one of the bajillion churches that was built for a greedy king.)

However—for me—the historical magic comes from walking through the streets of Bologna knowing that hundreds of years ago people walked along the same cobblestone, looked up at the same sky and breathed the same air I am breathing today. It amazes me that these buildings still stand strong today. But what amazes me more are the stunning appearances of all the buildings, and how people long ago, with hardly any technology were able to build things so beautiful and so stable. After habitually seeing these buildings, now I don’t quite understand why at home we construct heinous-looking-buildings (like strip malls, fast-food restaurants and athletic facilities—aka the SERF) when obviously human hands and minds are capable of so much more.


3. Aperativi—probably the best thing ever invented.

What is it you ask? Most bars offer an Aperativo from the hours of 6-9 or 10ish. Basically, you buy a drink…you get all you can eat buffet. Around a $7 dollar deal—perfect for the pocket of a study abroad student. It’s baller, and clearly not helping my Skinny B!tc# self. Anyway, the buffet ranges from different types of couscous, foccaccia, salads, pastas, French fries, prosciutto, sausages….any thing and everything that will seduce you into obesity.(Most of the Italians get a couple plates for the table at the buffet and quietly munch while conversing, making their conversation the primary purpose of the meeting.) When we go, there’s usually no talking…only sounds of us shoveling forkfuls of delicious food into our mouths and the clinking of empty plates stacking up after each visit to the buffet line. Okay, we’re here for a year…we’ll learn to do as the Romans soon enough. Just let me indulge in this godsend for a few weeks.

A typical drink to order at Aperativo is called “lo Spritz” (pronounced Low-Sbreetz-uh…ha). It’s 2 parts Prosecco, 1 ½ parts Aperol Orange Liqueur and a dash of seltzer and garnished with an orange slice. The first time I tried it I almost spit it out because of it’s bitter flavor and strong alcohol content. I managed to finish it and ended up liking it. Although it’s not my drink of choice, I’ll do as the Italians and get it more often.

I still quite can’t put my finger on why aperativo hasn’t made its way to the United States yet. Oh wait, yes I have: Over-indulging Americans wouldn’t be able to handle the liberty of a buffet+alcohol for $7. I picture the stampede scene in The Lion King or maybe the animal scene in Mean Girls when I think of aperativi back home.

4. Straightforwardness

I love the straightforwardness of the Italian personality. A lot of times Americans can be passive aggressive. We work around things and beat around the bush a lot. Italians do not what so ever, and I love it. For example: one day we were sitting in my friend Nicola’s apartment, doing homework in her living room where her TV is. We weren’t watching TV. Her roommate comes into the room, asks if we are okay in that room or if we want to move into the kitchen where there is better light and larger table. We say no it’s fine in here no worries! She responds: Actually, you need to move into the kitchen because I’m going to watch TV in here. It kind of caught us off guard, but we were totally fine moving into the kitchen and she was able to watch her shows. Back home I can see me being like “Hey, so I was um gonna try to um catch The Bachelor at like 8 so do you think I could watch it in there…IF NOT IT’S TOTALLY FINE!” And then even if it was an inconvenience the other person would be like “Oh, yeah…sure totally. I wasn’t like doing anything anyway…totally fine totally fine. But like uhh can I come back when it’s over because like the light is better in here…(or whatever)” MAN THAT JUST WASTED SO MUCH TIME.

Way easier to do like the Romans, dude.

5. Davide…ok, well probably not Davide…

First a story…

I had the pleasure of meeting a boy named Davide in the small town of Monterosso in Cinque Terre the other weekend. Davide whispered broken English sweet nothings into my ear the whole night and bought our whole table drinks (obviously with an intent, I’m not stupid…but hey, free drinks?). Finally, it became a little too much, and took the strength of me and my two friends to literally push him away from us so we could continue our night. (FYI I just spared you all many weird details) Anyway, after affirming that this boy was a creep and realizing if it had gone on for any longer I may have gotten taken and never would be able to see my family or watch LOST again! (Unless, of course, my father develops the skills of Liam Neeson (hint DAD!)) I have decided I hate Italian boys and will only consider Americans. Or maybe the Irish.

But that was a while ago and I have finally let the Davide trauma wear off .

After taking like a 4 week hiatus from even thinking about Italian boys (because of Davide), I’ve realized that most of them are really sweet and not self absorbed a-holes like a lot of American boys I know (sorry guys). They make sure to make acknowledge all girls when we walk in the room, and are interested in speaking to us (not with an ulterior motive.) But this theory still needs to be proved more…Davide’s eyes are still pressed in my mind.

But above all, I’ve done the UNTHINKABLE: I’ve started like the way most of them dress. Well, mostly I love the fact that they realize that basketball shorts and a polo IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE OUTFIT (HINT). And, fitted (obviously not TIGHT) pants are growing on me.

…but DEFINITELY not the white pants thing. Gross.

“While obviously I don’t appreciate getting cat-called by 60 year old Italian men with no teeth when I’m walking to class, some Italian boys definitely know how to treat girls and appreciate them.

6. “in giro”—take a walk…

“Facciamo un giro?”—Let’s take a walk.

At any point during the day, the streets of Bologna are filled with people, casually walking around. With no point at all. At first this was SO STRANGE to me. Why would anyone leave the Work, School, Cyber, Harry Potter, LOST world to just walk around? And then sit on benches in the piazzas to just…observe? The only time we take walks is to walk our dog (and even then I walk her to the corner…make her go and then drag her home…yes, siblings, I usually lie when I tell you I walked her around the block.).

Italians are okay with letting precious time pass and just…living. Something I wish Americans could adapt to, although I know it will never happen.

7. Coffee

Anyone who knows me at home knows I despise coffee. (Unless it’s iced…and even so I put like 90 packets of splenda in it and then shake from being over-caffinated for the rest of the day even if it’s only a Tall from Starbucks.)

Coffee here is amazing. So little so I don’t have to force myself for like a straight hour to drink it…but enough to give me energy to make it through the day (my Italian life becomes very strenuous at times)...without seizing.

8. Public transportation

God’s gift to man. Buses and trains…they are my yellow brick road. My free trip to Atlantis. Love that it only costs me 4 to get to IKEA (where I am reimbursed) so essentially free. Love that it only costs me 10 to get to Florence…even if that let’s me chill at the stazione at 4:35 in the morning, with a fever, fearing that I’m going to get kidnapped by Bin Ladin. Whatever. America…get with it. Trains are the new Range Rovers baby. Here in Europe we ride in style.

And obviously, my favorite part about public transportation, is people watching. European people watching is so much more amusing than watching fat white tattoed people in jorts ride roller coasters.

9. The Euro—who doesn’t love play money?

Just kidding Dad, kind of. Even though the Euro is a lot like Monopoly money to me, it makes a lot more sense than American money. Having 2 and 1 Euro coins is borderline brilliant. Also, Euros maintain crispy, unlike the Green that becomes soft and disgusting to the point you can feel the germs crawl all over it. But money goes fast here…I’ve started to write down everything I’m spending because I’m “responsible”. We’ll see how this goes.

10. Cold bananas.

Italians refrigerate their bananas. It’s brilliant. They are so smart.



I still bleed Red White and Blue,

Mally

1 comment:

  1. haha its really funny because i know the reason behind some of those things on the list :) can't wait to skype tmrw!

    ReplyDelete